What is Montessori?
- Montessori is a method of education with an individualized child-centered approach.
- The child is the main focus.
- The Montessori method of teaching and learning allows children to experience self-paced learning through hands-on exploration and discovery.
Dr. Montessori was the first female physician to graduate from the University of Rome Medical School. In 1907, Dr. Montessori discovered a basic premise about children – all children are uniquely intelligent. This was a unique concept for this time and continues to be innovative.
Dr. Montessori's focus on the whole child methodology is designed to:
- facilitate learning
- develop the child's independence
- develop the child's sense of personal empowerment
Montessori Schools were founded on:
- Respect for oneself, respect for others, and respect for the environment.
- Children need to develop independence and self-discipline.
- Children are taught to take pride in doing things for themselves carefully and well.
What is the Montessori understanding of the nature of the child?
- Children like to work as well as play.
- Children have a natural drive to work in order to develop.
- The child's great task is to create an adult.
- Children are not content unless they have an opportunity to develop and learn.
How does a Montessori education benefit children?