Early On/Early Intervention SpotlightExceptional Student Education proudly highlights the Early On/Early Intervention Program.
Early On is Michigan's system for helping infants and toddlers, birth to age 3 and their families who have developmental delays or are at risk for delays due to certain health conditions. It's designed to help families find the social, health, and educational services that will promote the development of their infants and toddlers with special needs.
Early On emphasizes early identification and early referral to enhance the development of infants and toddlers with disabilities, to minimize their potential for delay, and to recognize the significant brain development that occurs during a child's first three years of life.Please take a moment to view this 30-second video to learn more:For more information, you may access the Early On website here.
Office of Exceptional Student Education
Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) provides students with exceptional needs the supports, interventions, and enrichment activities needed to flourish. The Office of Exceptional Student Education encompasses all learners outside of the typical learning environment and those that may require differing learning styles in order to meet their full potential. The ESE department is comprised of Section 504 students, students with, or suspected of having, a disability, and Gifted and Talented Education (GATE). We work to ensure students have access and the opportunity to participate in the varied opportunities DPSCD provides.
This access to instructional and other support services will result in every student maximizing their potential to successfully participate in school, work, and community life.Our Programs:
- Mild Cognitive Impairments
- Moderate Cognitive Impairments
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Day Treatment
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing
- Emotional Impairment
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Visual Impairments
- Work Skills
- Post Secondary Transition
- Physical and Other Health Impairments
- Early Childhood Developmental Disorder
- Early Intervention Diagnostic Center
- Severe Cognitive Impairments
- Severe Multiple Impairments
- Speech & Language Pathology
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Orientation & Mobility
- School Social Work
- Instructional support: ranging from specialized classes to resource teachers supporting students in general education classrooms, DPSCD strives to educate all students first in a general education setting
- Behavior and counseling support
- Assistance with physical mobility and fine motor skills
- Speech services
- Accommodations and modifications
- Transition and work skills to help students pursue post-secondary and work opportunities
ESE Organization Chart
Please click the link above to find the appropriate contact for your school.
Senior Director of PD/Curriculum/Assessments/Assistive Technology
Project Manager/Program Supervisor