Detroit Public Schools Community District Board of Education
Detroit Public Schools Community District welcomed its new board of education at a public swearing-in ceremony at Cass Technical High School on January 11, 2017. The ceremony officially ushered in the return of the school district to local control under the governance of the seven-member board. The purpose of the locally elected board is to serve as the governing body of the District and to provide public education services to children residing within the geographic boundaries of the City of Detroit. The Board is fundamentally a policy-making or legislative body rather than an administrative body. It is the responsibility of the Board to see that schools are operated properly, and not to administer them directly. Please reference the DPSCD Bylaws for more information about the Board located in the documents section on this page.
Members of the Board
- Angelique Peterson-Mayberry, President (term ending 12/31/2026)
- Misha Stallworth, Vice President (term ending 12/31/2024)
- Dr. Iris Taylor, Secretary (term ending 12/31/2026)
- Sonya Mays, Treasury (term ending 12/31/2024)
- Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (term ending 12/31/2024)
- LaTrice McClendon (term ending 12/31/2026)
- Bishop Corletta J. Vaughn (term ending 12/31/2026)
Board Committee Chair Appointments
- Curriculum/Academic Committee – Bishop Corletta J. Vaughn
- Detroit Public Library Commission Appointee Committee - Bishop Corletta Vaughn
- Finance Committee – Sonya Mays
- Policy Ad Hoc Committee - Misha Stallworth
- Legislative Chair - Sherry Gay-Dagnogo
- Code of Conduct - Misha Stallworth
- Parent & Community Engagement - Bishop Corletta Vaughn & LaTrice McClendon
- Public Safety Oversight Committee - Dr. Iris Taylor
External Organization Representatives
- Detroit Public Schools Foundation - Angelique Peterson-Mayberry & Dr. Iris Taylor
- Detroit Public Library Commission - Angelique Peterson-Mayberry
- Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB) - LaTrice McClendon
- DPSCD Board Representative for State Policy - Sherry Gay-Dagnogo
- Wayne County Association of School Boards (WCASB) - Dr. Iris Taylor
Members elected to the initial DPSCD Board (the “Initial Board”) shall be elected at the first November regular election date as established under section 641 of the Michigan election law, MCL 168.641, that occurs at least 90 days after July 1, 2016.
The two members of this Initial Board receiving the highest vote totals in that election among the 7 members elected shall be elected for a term of 6 years, the 3 members of the Initial Board receiving the next highest vote totals in that election among the 7 members elected shall be elected for a term of 4 years, and the 2 members of the Initial Board receiving the lowest vote totals in that election among the 7 members elected shall be elected for a term of 2 years.
Upon expiration of the terms of the Initial Board members, each member of the Board shall be elected at the November regular election date for a term of 4 years beginning on January 1 following the member’s election.
The term of a member of the elected Board shall begin on January 1 following the member’s election and has duration as provided by law and continues until a successor is elected and qualified.
Communicating with the Board
The DPSCD Board hosts monthly board meetings and sub-committee meetings. In addition, the board hosts quarterly community meetings for the general public to learn about the latest news. Please check the calendar for locations, dates, and times. All meetings are subject to change. Please contact the Secretary to the Board, Vania Moore at 313.873.7861. If you require accessibility needs for meetings, please contact the Division of Operations at 313.873.6532 in advance of an upcoming meeting.
Virtual Public Comment Protocol for Regular Board Meetings
Virtual Public Comment will be facilitated through the Zoom Webinar. To register, you must use the "Raise Hand" feature to indicate that you wish to participate in virtual public comment. Via your computer, select the “raise your hand” option on the screen. Via your telephone, press *9 to raise your hand. The meeting administrator will select the individuals in the order received. You will remain muted until it is your time to speak. This link is to participate in public comment only; the meeting will not be broadcasted in this space.
Join by Computer: https://bit.ly/DPSCDBoardMeetings (please copy and paste link)
Join by Telephone: 1 (301) 715-8592
Webinar ID: 82002207102#
BoardDocs & Meeting Agenda
BoardDocs is the District’s cloud-based, board management system. It is home to a searchable index of agendas, board packets, minutes, policies and procedures. Stay in touch with and follow along during board meetings using BoardDocs.
3011 W. Grand Boulevard
12th Floor, Fisher Building
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 240-4377
Secretary to the Board of Education
Phone: (313) 873-7861
Fax: (313) 873-3284