Visual Arts classes are taught in a sequential format in the areas of drawing, painting, ceramics, graphic arts, fashion design, jewelry, fibers, art composition, crafts, lettering, drafting and architecture, pewabic pottery, pen and ink, sculpture, print making, automotive design, digital photography, and video photography.
Beginning, intermediate and advanced levels of instruction is available for instrumental music students on brass, woodwind, percussion and string instruments. Piano, music theory and (harp instruction at Cass Technical High School only) are also available to students within the district.
Small and large ensemble (SSAA, SATB, TTBB) instruction at the beginning, intermediate and advance levels are also available to vocal music students.
Beginning, intermediate and advanced levels of instruction are available for dance students in Classical Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Contemporary, Tap and World Dance.
Classical and Contemporary forms of theater which include acting, voice and diction, movement for actors and musical theater are among the courses offered to the aspiring thespian.
AP and Honors courses in visual arts, vocal and instrumental music, music theory courses, jazz combos and vocal jazz ensembles are available at the high school level.
All-City Marching Band
DPS also offers an All-City Marching Band for highly talented and skilled musicians, majorettes and flag twirlers.
The Detroit Public Schools Community District All City High School Marching Band serves as a vehicle for all qualifying DPSCD high school musicians to participate and express themselves in a well-equipped large ensemble with full instrumentation, highly qualified staff and very talented musicians. Entrance into this group is through audition only.
Detroit Public Schools Community District Fine and Performing Arts students have been involved in and received recognition and scholarship awards through participation in:
- Blue Lake Fine Arts Camps
- Interlochen Center for the Arts
- GM You Make a Difference (Automotive Design Program)
- Wayne County Community College Art Program
- James Tatum Foundation
- Omega Psi Phi Talent Showcase
- National Scholastic Art and Reading Competition
Detroit Public Schools Fine Arts students benefit from partnerships and additional educational support with state universities and colleges as well as:
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Center for Creative Services
- DPS Foundation
- Detroit International Jazz Festival Educational Division
- Detroit Federation of Musicians, Local 5
Each year Detroit Public Schools Fine Arts students are involved in several major events that highlight their many outstanding talents in visual arts, dance, drama, instrumental and vocal music. Such events include the following:
- Detroit Public Schools Evening of Fine Arts
- Student Exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Michigan Student Film and Video Festival
- Michigan Youth Arts Festival
- Festival of Arts
- Noel Night
- Detroit International Jazz Festival
- Thanksgiving Day Parade – Float Design
- Detroit Fire Department Arson Awareness Program
- Sphinx Program
- Wayne State University Weekend School of Music
- Michigan State University New Horizons Program
- DSO Power Dream Program
- DSO Civic Ensembles
- University of Michigan High School Honors Ensembles
- Michigan State University High School Honors Band
- Eastern Michigan University String Camp
- Central Michigan University String Master Classes
Detroit Public Schools music programs have been recognized and recipients of awards from the:
- Grammy Foundation Grammy Signature Schools Series, Tournament of Roses Parade “Coming Up Roses”
- Rose Bowl Field Show Competition Award Winner
- America’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
Detroit Public Schools Visual Arts programs have been recognized and recipients of the National Gold Key and Silver Awards from the National Scholastic Art and Reading Committee in the categories of:
- Digital Photography