Detroit Public Schools Community District Retirement Process Overview
Human Resources held a virtual retirement informational session on April 27, 2023, to assist District employees with the retirement process. The session provided overviews of the DPSCD and Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) retirement processes. The session included key timelines, mistakes to avoid, retirement contacts and the following four (4) steps:
- Verify your Retirement Service Credits with the State of Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) 6 months prior to your retirement date.
- Submit your application for retirement to ORS 3 months prior to your retirement date.
- Submit your Separation from Service Form to Human Resources.
- Submit application for retirement at any time. Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) members must submit their application for retirement by May 1st of the current school year (effective date July 1 or August 1) to be eligible for the negotiated benefit in the DFT Contract.
Below is a copy of the presentation with general questions and answers. The recorded virtual retirement informational session will be made available upon download completion.
Please Note: During the presentation, the presenters erred when they stated July 13 is the last regular payroll for employees with a separation from service date of June 30. The correct last regular payroll for employees with a separation from service date is July 11. The presentation below has been corrected and the recorded presentation will be noted when available.
Human Resources: (313) 873-6897 / email@example.com
Payroll Help Desk: (313) 873-4269 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS)
The Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) has prepared online resources to help with learning more about the retirement plans and the retirement process. Resources such as the retirement workbook, workshops and short e-learning modules. Links are below for your usage and convenience.
- Download the ORS Planning Your Retirement workbook.
- View the online Planning Your Retirement workshop presentations. The Planning Your Retirement workshop provides clear and concise information about your retirement plan and insurance options.
- Short e-learning modules - specific topics for planning your retirement.
- Have questions prior to applying for retirement? Send a secure message on the miAccount Message Board using the message category Retirement Eligibility.
Submitting Your Application for Retirement to ORS
When you’re ready to apply for retirement, follow these helpful steps:
Step 1: Complete the Preparing to Apply for Retirement checklist and then apply for retirement online in miAccount using the five-step electronic application.
Step 2: Send your required proofs along with your retirement confirmation and checklist.
Step 3: Have questions after submitting your retirement application? Send a secure message on the miAccount Message Board using the message category Retirement Application.
ORS can be contacted via phone at (800) 381-5111 or secure email from your miAccount.
Employees at DPSCD are provided with several options to save for retirement beyond the State pension and/or savings plans with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Office of Retirement Services (ORS)
All employees are automatically enrolled in a State retirement plan effective their first day of work. Employees who have worked for a participating school in the past will be reenrolled in their previous plan. New employees must make a lifetime election within 75 days of the end of the first pay period. Additional information can be located at:
http://pickmiplan.org for employees hired on or after July 1, 2010
http://michigan.gov/orsschools for employees hired before July 1, 2010
https://www.michigan.gov/orsmiaccount for information specific to you
or by phone at (800) 381-5111
The Omni Group
Employees also have the opportunity to invest in a 403b and/or a 457 plan. Additional infomation can be obtained through The Omni Group at http://omni403b.com or (877) 544-6664.