Detroit Public Schools Community District Retirement Process Overview
Employees who are retiring from the District
- Verify your Retirement Service Credits with the State of Michigan Office of Retirement Services (ORS) 6 months prior to your retirement date.
- Submit your application for retirement to ORS 3 months prior to your retirement date.
- Submit your Separation of Service Form to immediate supervisor according your collective bargaining/employment agreement with the effective date as the first of the month.
- Applications for retirement may be submitted by employees at any time. Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) members must submit their application for retirement by May 1st of the current school year (effective date July 1 or August 1) to be eligible for the negotiated benefit in the DFT Contract.
- Employees will receive their final payout 4 to 6 weeks following their separation date.
- Employees should contact ORS with any questions regarding retiree benefits at (800) 381-5111
Employees at DPSCD are provided with several options to save for retirment beyond the State pension and/or savings plans with pre-tax payroll deductions.
Office of Retirement Services (ORS)
All employees are automatically enrolled in a State retirment plan effective their first day of work. Employees who have worked for a participating school in the past will be reenrolled in their previous plan. New employees must make a lifetime election within 75 days of the end of the first pay period. Additional information can be located at:
http://pickmiplan.org for employees hired on or after July 1, 2010
http://michigan.gov/orsschools for employees hired before July 1, 2010
https://www.michigan.gov/orsmiaccount for information specific to you
or by phone at (800) 381-5111
ORS Plan Webinar and Seminar Schedule
ORS has scheduled several upcoming webinars, seminars and 1-on-1 Appointments. You can view the Schedule and register your attendance online by selecting a webinar under Public School (MPSERS) employees on the left side of the screen or clicking next on the right side to schedule an appointment or register for a seminar.
The Omni Group
Employees also have the opportunity to invest in a 403b and/or a 457 plan. Additional infomation can be obtained through The Omni Group at http://omni403b.com or (877) 544-6664.