Planning for College for Students with Exceptionalities

  • As you, the student, or your child prepares to exit the K-12 education system and embark onto the next chapter in their education, there are things you should about your rights after you leave the K-12 education system. Most college campuses have dedicated staff to help students with learning difficulties receive the resources and assistance they need to succeed in their educational journey. A number of different accommodations are available, enabling students to attend classes, complete coursework, and undertake exams in a way that suits them best.  

    The U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights outlines specific components that apply to all students in their pamphlet Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities. Below is some information taken from this pamphlet that is relevant to DPSCD families and students as they progress into college. More detailed information can be found here.

  • As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed? 

  • May a postsecondary school deny admission because I have a disability? 

  • Do I have to inform a postsecondary school that I have a disability? 

  • What academic adjustments must a postsecondary school provide? 

  • If I want an academic adjustment, what must I do? 

  • When should I request an academic adjustment? 

  • Do I have to prove that I have a disability to obtain an academic adjustment? 

  • What documentation should I provide? 

  • Who has to pay for a new evaluation? 

  • Once the school has received the necessary documentation from me, what should I expect? 

  • What if the academic adjustment we identified is not working? 

  • May a postsecondary school charge me for providing an academic adjustment? 

In Summary

  • Navigating the transition from high school to postsecondary can be tricky, but with proper preparation and guidance, your specific needs can be met to allow you to be successful. If you have already applied to, or are planning to apply to college, please contact your school counselor to assist you in identifying the process to request these accommodations. Be sure to allow enough time for your request to be made to ensure your continued success in postsecondary education.