Get a Work Permit

  • State and Federal Requirements for Minors who want to Work 

    Public Act 90 of 1978, the Youth Employment Standards Act (YESA), as amended, defines a minor as someone who is less than 18 years of age, including but not limited to employees, volunteers, independent contractors, and performing artists. 

    Minors under the age of 18 are required to have a work permit prior to starting work. Minors under the age of 18 cannot be employed or permitted to work, with or without pay, or volunteer until the person, company, business, firm, or corporation proposing to employ the minor obtains and keeps on file at the minor's place of employment (work location) a current and valid age-appropriate work permit, which has been issued by a state of Michigan issuing officer of the school district, intermediate school district, public school academy or nonpublic school prior to starting work. 

    If the minor changes jobs, a new work permit is required for the new employer.   

    A work permit may be revoked for poor academic performance.

    A work permit is required even if the minor is home/cyber/virtual/online schooled, does not attend school, or is an out-of-state resident. 

    Youth Employment work permits do not follow the guidance of Work-Based Learning internships and/or apprenticeships.  Students who are working on Youth Employment Work Permits do not need Training Agreements and Training Plans and must follow the guidance on the work permit based on the minor’s age.

    How to Obtain a Work Permit 

    Please click here for more information on how to obtain a Youth Employment Work Permit.