Detroit Public Schools Community District - Office of Communications Internships
The Detroit Public Schools Community District Office of Communications manages all internal and external communications for the school district with more than 50,000 students and 110 schools. The Communications team oversees media relations, public relations, events, internal/employee communications, and social media channels. The department collaborates closely with District staff and leadership to ensure transparent, accurate and effective two-way communication with families, students, parents, community leaders, business partners and the media.
The Office of Communications is seeking interns who are students majoring in communications, journalism or public relations, to be integral members of our team to assist with the day-to-day operations of the department. You must be self-motivated, well organized, great at multi-tasking, and devoted to quality customer service.
This is an unpaid internship and students must be enrolled at a college or university.
Communications Interns will work collaboratively with Communications team members on many projects including:
- Write/edit news releases to strategically place positive news stories on local and national print, television, radio and social media channels;
- Assist with coordinating school-based and executive level news conferences;
- Assist with daily updates of the district website and social media channels;
- Work with team members to coordinate public relations and marketing campaigns;
- Design flyers, graphics, eBlasts and other promotional material;
- Maintain a social media calendar and editorial calendar
- Any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Adobe
- Must have interest in keeping up to date with the general news and social media
- Attention to detail, accuracy and multi-tasking are essential
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Must have enthusiasm, an eagerness to learn and be highly self-motivated
Education and Experience:
- Must be pursuing a degree in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations. Must be at least a junior.
Schedule: A minimum of 16 hours per week (preferred, but negotiable) during the hours of 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and possibly some weekends and evenings (not required). We will work with the student’s schedule.
Work Location: Detroit Public Schools Community District
Office of Communications
10th Floor Fisher Building
3011 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202
Email Resume & Cover Letter to: email@example.com
*Subject Line: INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY