COVID-19 Health and Safety Reminders for Families
Families, students and staff play a critical role in the health and safety of our school and home communities. As we work to maintain a healthy school environment, please complete the following practices to ensure a safe return to school.
- Complete the Screening Tool Daily – Every morning each family must complete the COVID-19 Screening Tool for Families prior to sending students to school. If the answer is yes to any of the questions, please keep your child at home and contact your primary care provider. DPSCD staff must also complete a screener each morning. Anyone exhibiting symptoms should not physically report to school and should seek medical attention.
- Report Positive COVID case- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, please contact the school and report the case to the principal. If someone reports that they tested positive for COVID to you and they attend a District school, please ask them to inform their principal.
- Know the Basics - Watch the following video with your child prior to the first day of school COVID - Knowing the Basics - Pediatrics.
- Submit Health Information - Complete and submit the DPSCD Student Health Packet by September 12, 2020. This is a fillable PDF form. Download it to your computer, fill it out and save it to your computer. Then email it to your school or print it and drop it off in person. Or upload it to the Student Health Forms Portal.
- Wear Masks - Staff and students must wear masks on the bus and during the school day. We will have a supply of mask available if in needed. If your child can not wear a mask a note from your child’s health provider will be required.
- Check Temperature - All staff and students will have a temperature screening when they enter schools.
- Practice Social Distancing – Student desks will be appropriately spaced to ensure social distancing. Students and staff will also be encouraged to practice social distancing.
- Encourage Proper Hygiene - Please encourage students to wash hands often – this includes before and after eating, and after using the restroom. Also remind students to keep unwashed hands away from eyes, nose and mouth, and to cover coughs with a tissue, or cough into a sleeve or elbow. Avoid sharing cups (including water bottles) and utensils with other individuals.
- Make sure to also keep good health habits. This includes getting plenty of sleep, staying active, eating healthy foods and drinking lots of fluids. If your child has not had a physical in the last year, please call your child’s doctor to schedule.
- Update Student Immunizations - Ensure that your child is up to date on immunizations. We also recommend that every child receive a Flu vaccine each year. If your child is overdue for immunizations, please call your child’s health provider or the Detroit Health Department at 313-876-4667.
Protocol for Suspected Case of COVID
In the event of a suspected case of COVID at school, the District will implement the following:
- Work closely with the Detroit Health Department to investigate and conduct contact tracing, maintaining student and staff confidentiality at all times. Once case is confirmed, any students or staff that are determined to be in close contact (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with that individual, will be asked to quarantine for 14 days.
- Send students who feel ill during the school day to the school nurse. If the school nurse determines that the child needs to be sent home or requires further evaluation, parent will be notified.