District, Local, and State COVID-19 Trend Information
Below is information about any and all cases of confirmed COVID-19 positive cases for staff and students for the past four (4) weeks. This information will be updated weekly. Previous data from earlier weeks can be downloaded and viewed under the Key Links and Documents section below.
Local & State Health Departments
- Contact Tracing - All contact tracing and the determination of the extent of quarantine is determined by the health department.
- Outbreak - The State of Michigan defines an outbreak as two or more COVID-19 cases who may have shared exposure on school grounds and are from different households. This would include before and after school programs (e.g., school-sponsored sports). The investigation and declaration of an outbreak come through the relevant health department. Outbreaks as defined by MDHHS are indicated by * on the F2F Cases by School document.
- Data Updates - Data from the Detroit Health Department and Michigan Department of Health is updated weekly.
Detroit Public Schools Community District
- Reporting - The District will communicate a case as "self-reported", provided a lab report is produced. This does not change the investigations that must occur by the relevant health departments in order to confirm the case and identify potential outbreaks, but allows the District to communicate reported cases more quickly.
- Quarantining- Consistent with District procedures, as soon as a case is self-reported, anyone identified as a close contact is required to quarantine immediately while the relevant health department conducts their investigation.
- Notification - DPSCD notifies staff and families directly where there is a confirmation of COVID-19 case that affects face to face (F2F) learning.
- F2F Related Deaths - The District does not have any record of deaths of District students or adults over the summer or during the fall as it relates to F2F instruction.
- Data Updates - DPSCD will update new confirmed cases within 24 hours of notification. Please note that as investigations are completed by health departments and cases are confirmed or deemed to be negative, District summary data will be updated to reflect relevant changes.
DPSCD Buildings and Schools
The following data are the number of Face to Face (F2F) student & staff cases confirmed by health department for each week.
City of Detroit
State of Michigan
The following data can be found at https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html
*Actual number of deaths is suppressed to protect privacy because it is less than 5 (< 5). We are aware of one death of a Detroit school aged child (who did not attend DPSCD) that was publicized in the news on April 19, 2020.