Section 504/ADA


    The District will provide reasonable accommodations/modifications to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure access to our educational programs, services, and activities in compliance the District’s Non-Discrimination Policy, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

    Any qualified individual with a disability interacting with the District is entitled to reasonable accommodations/modifications in order to participate equally in any District program, service, or activity. Examples of reasonable accommodations/modifications include, but are not limited to:

    · Relocation of a class or event to a wheelchair-accessible location

    · Provision of specialized equipment

    · A temporary or permanent building modification

    · Modification of a facially neutral policy or guideline to provide equal access

    · Provision of auxiliary aids and services, including a qualified sign language interpreter

    · Access to elevators, lifts, and ramps

    · Creation of, or amendment to a student’s 504 plan

    · Use of service animals

    Accommodation/Modification Requests

    Please submit accommodation/modification requests as far in advance as possible, but preferably at least seven (7) days before the accommodation/modification is required. While the District will make every effort to provide accommodations/modifications in a timely fashion, please note that we may be unable to provide accommodations/modifications if requested with less than 24 hours’ notice.

    Students: Accommodation/modification requests may be submitted to the student’s building Principal or Schools Section 504 Coordinator. While the request or concern may be stated verbally, in order to proceed with the identification and evaluation of a student for accommodations/modifications, the accommodation/modification request must be formally captured in writing. School staff will assist with completing any necessary forms, including documentation of concerns and consent forms for evaluations.

    DPSCD Employees and Job Applicants: Accommodation requests needed to perform an employee’s job duties or to participate in a job application process shall be handled in accordance with DPSCD guidelines and procedures and the ADA. Requests for accommodations made by employees or job applicants must be submitted to the Division of Human Resources – Office of Compensation, Benefits, and Employee Health Services. Please visit the Office of Compensation, Benefits, and Employee Health Services web page for additional information and necessary forms.

    Parents, Guardians, and Community members: Accommodation/modification requests and information as to the existance and location of a playground that is accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities can be made to the Office of Equity, Advocacy & Civil Rights via email at or by calling (313) 240-4377. Accommodation/modification requests may also be submitted to the relevant school principal. 

    For more information or assistance regarding student accommodations/modifications, contact:

    Anne Meirow, Ph.D.
    Schools Section 504 Coordinator
    3011 W. Grand Blvd
    Detroit, MI 48202
    (313) 870-3480

    For more information or assistance regarding a disability that is not related to students, please contact:

    Jenice C. Mitchell Ford
    General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel
    Districtwide Section 504 Coordinator
    3011 W. Grand Blvd, 10th Floor 
    Detroit, MI 48202
    Phone: (313) 240-4377