Non-Resident Students

    Detroit Public Schools Community District may now enroll non-resident students* for the 2020-21 school year under Section 105 and Section 105c of the State School Aid Act (MCL 388.1705c[19]). Please visit the Enroll in a School webpage to find information on enrollment process and required documents. Please note there are additional considerations that must be met for our exam and application schools.

    *There is no cost for School of Choice students; no transportation is provided for Schools of Choice students; and Detroit Public schools may refuse to enroll a non-resident student that is or has been suspended during the past two years or has been expelled.


    Highland Park students


    All 8th grade students from Highland Park are encouraged to call Detroit Collegiate Preparatory Academy at Northwestern for enrollment.

    Phone: (313) 899-7370

    Detroit Collegiate Preparatory Academy at Northwestern Overview


    Refugee Status or New Immigrant Students

    Where to Enroll

    Parents and guardians must complete required enrollment forms. Please visit the Enroll in a School webpage to find information on enrollment process and required documents. 

    Note: Special ESL classes offered at a school are NOT required to enroll a refugee or immigrant. Schools must not deny enrollment, as long as proper documentation is provided. Contact the Office of English Learners for assistance with placement.



    Detroit Public Schools is a School of Choice District and may enroll out-of-district students through September 9, 2016.



    Same guidelines for a general education student unless they have an IEP to state something different.


    Required Documents

    • Child's birth certificate (however, the child may not have one due to circumstances)
    • Passport or U.S Government issued I.D
    • Proof of address (W-2, pay stub, public assistance documents, any official government mail, utility bills, driver's license, etc.)
    • Immunization record
    • Transcripts or Report Cards, some may not have had access to an education/school at all so they won’t have any. Enroll and contact the Office of English Learners.
    • Parent/Guardian photo ID