Whole Child Commitment
Champion a whole child approach that unlocks students’ full potential.
- Care for students’ physical health and basic needs so that they are safe and ready to learn.
- Offer every student access to mental health supports, whether online or in person, by leveraging existing school staff and community partners.
- Maintain the District’s progress in offering well-rounded educational experiences to students in person and online.
- Funded art or music in every K-8
- Initiated enrichment and mentoring programs such as 5000 Role Models, Cultural Passport, and Lego League
- Established and trained school health teams at each school
- Expanded staffing for school social workers and counselors
- Forged partnerships with Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network and U-Michigan to focus on mental health and trauma-informed practice
- Opened a mental health hotline for students