Leader in Me
Carleton is proud to be recognized as the first DPSCD school to implement the Leader in Me program which equips students with leadership and life skills. The framework emphasizes the belief that anyone can be a leader and our actions can inspire others to greatness. The goal of a Leader in Me school is to establish a school-wide system that focuses on three key principles.
- Teach and Model Leadership Skills
- Create a Culture of Student Empowerment
- Align Behavior and Actions for Academic Success
Carleton has adopted the Leader in Me curriculum that centers around the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Our school has embedded the 7 Habits into our daily routines, instructional practices, and our school culture. We are committed to helping students understand that change begins with them and they have the power to succeed beyond measure. For more information, visit the Leader in Me website.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Habit 1 - Be Proactive
- Take responsibility for your own actions and choices instead of making excuses.
Habit 2 - Begin with the End in Mind
- Have a plan for how you can achieve success academically and socially
Habit 3 - Put First Things First
- Use time wisely and prioritize your tasks based on importance
Habit 4 - Think Win-Win
- Work effectively with others for group success rather than just looking out for self
Habit 5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
- Take the time to listen and reflect before responding or reacting
Habit 6 - Synergize
- Collaborate with others and learn to appreciate different opinions
Habit 7 - Sharpen the Saw
- Continue to work on self-improvement and becoming your best self