Students may arrive as early as 7:30 a.m. Breakfast is served in the cafeteria until 7:55 a.m. Class begins at 8:00 a.m.
School ends at 3:20 p.m. After-School ends at 5:20 p.m.
- When picking up students before the end of the school day, we encourage you to call ahead. Students are in class learning at this time. We therefore will not use the PA system, therefore, it may take longer to get your son to the office.
- Students are dismissed to go home at 3:20 p.m. unless they participate in an After-School program. All After-School students must report to the Cafeteria and be picked up by their sponsor. Roaming around the school during this time is prohibited. After-School programs are dismissed at 4:20 p.m. unless otherwise notified by the instructor. Parents please note that we do not have a latchkey on site. All staff and students will leave on-time at the end of the work/school day.
- Communicate with staff in case of an emergency.
2021-2022-FDA Bell Schedule
8:00 a.m.-8:55 a.m.
8:57 a.m.-9:52 a.m.
9:54 a.m.-10:49 a.m.
4th Period (Lunch)
10:51 a.m.-11:31 a.m.
11:33 a.m.-12:28 p.m.
12:30 p.m.-1:25 p.m.
1:27 p.m.-2:22 p.m.
2:25 p.m.-3:20 p.m.
2021-2022-FDA Uniform Policy
The dress code is essential for students who are enrolled at Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men. The dress code ensures that the young men at Douglass adhere to the same standard of dress and also ensures their safety and security while in school. Below is a list of items that are considered the official Douglass uniform and by signing this contract both the student and Parent/Guardian agree to the following:
Monday - Thursday- Full Dress-Blazer, Belts, Ties, Oxford Shirt, and Dress Shoes.
Friday-Polo Shirts, FDA or College Shirt, Belts, and Dress Shoes or Gym Shoes.
- Black Blazer- (Plain) or Navy
- Black Dress Belt—May be purchased from a department store. NO belts with large buckles over 2 inches, no belts with studs or designs on the buckle, no brown or fabric belts.
- White Dress Shirt-Must be a dress shirt with pointed collar or an oxford shirt with a button down collar.
- White Undershirt-A plain white undershirt is required to be worn underneath the dress shirt. Any shirt with colors other than white or any shirt with letters or writing will NOT BE ACCEPTABLE and will be considered a violation of the dress code.
- Black Dress Shoes-Must be hard-bottom dress shoes. Soles must not leave a black mark on the floor. Gym shoes may be worn on Friday’s only.
- Dress Pants-Khaki or Black Cargo Pants, “Dickies”, and pants with a pocket on the lower thigh ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE and will be considered a violation of the uniform contract.
- Polo Shirts-Black or White, may only be worn on Friday’s Only with pants, belt and dress shoes or gym shoes.
- School Club Shirt-Frederick Douglass or College T-shirts may be worn on Fridays only.
- Any item of the uniform that is not worn will be considered a violation of the uniform contract. Students must arrive at Douglass in full uniform before entering the building. Students are not to leave their uniform jacket or any part of their uniform overnight in school lockers. Students will not be allowed to go to their locker upon arrival to retrieve their uniform. This activity will be considered a violation of the uniform contract.
Students are to wear their uniform in a proper manner. Shirts must be tucked into their pants and NO “SAGGING” will be tolerated under any circumstances. The uniforms must be clean, neat and pressed. Uniform jackets that have ripped pockets; or, otherwise show any sign of damage will be considered a violation of the uniform contract. Students are not to place the uniform jacket in a book bag. Uniforms that are lost, stolen or damaged must be repaired or replaced within a week upon notification from the Dean’s Office.
Students must stay in full uniform until they leave building. Students will not be allowed to dress in “STREET CLOTHES” when leaving the building at the end of their schedule or to travel to Vo-Tech classes. Students are not to write any gang symbols, words, signs or anything on the uniform tie or any article of the uniform. Students ae not allowed to wear any earrings, ear studs, nonprescription glasses, necklaces or jewelry of any kind.
By signing this agreement, we parent/student) acknowledge that we have read understand and agree to all of the terms indicated. We further agree to fulfill all of the above mentioned obligations for the purchase, emergency circumstances that will not allow my child to wear the proper uniform to school, it is my responsibility to notify the school immediately by contacting the Dean of Students Office at (313) 596-3555. We understand that if I or my child violate any of the terms stated above, I hereby authorize Frederick Douglass Academy to withdraw my child and they will be referred to his neighborhood school. I also understand that upon my child being withdrawn from Frederick Douglass Academy, it is my responsibility to enroll my child into another school.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual
orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship,
marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other
legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including
employment and admissions Questions? Concerns? Contact the Civil Rights
Coordinator at (313) 240-4377 or firstname.lastname@example.org or 3011 West