Government and Community Affairs
- Legislative Agenda
- GCA Newsletter
- Community Engagement Leader Program
- Grassroots Advocacy
- Rising Up at the Eastern Market
- Detroit Election 2022
- Detroit Election 2021
UPDATE! Governor Whitmer Signs Historic Michigan Budget!!!
Posted by Lamar Weir on 7/15/2022 4:45:00 PM
Dear DPSCD Students, Families, Staff, and Supporters…THE EDUCATION BUDGET HAS BEEN SIGNED by GOV. Whitmer!
On July 14th, Michigan’s Governor Gretchen Whitmer officially signed the Michigan 2023 fiscal year education budget. This bipartisan education budget is truly historic - it includes the highest state per-pupil funding allowance in history at $9,150 for each individual student. Also, for the first time in Michigan history, the state has provided an investment of $475 billion toward school building infrastructure. DPSCD was a leading voice in advocating for this funding at the state level.
The official education budget signed by Gov. Whitmer also includes:
- A $246 million increase in special education funding for nearly 200,000 special education students.
- $214 per-pupil mental health and school safety funding for every kid, in every public school district.
- $223 million for at-risk students and support for economically disadvantaged students.
- A 27% funding expansion for career and technical education programs in schools.
- $575 million is dedicated to teacher recruitment to address the teacher shortage.
- Funding for 1,300 additional free preschool slots in the Great Start Readiness Program.
- Funding for Governor Whitmer’s MI Kids Back on Track program, which will offer every child tutoring to help catch up and get back on track for long-term educational success.
Although our education advocacy is far from finished, please join us in celebrating this historic investment in our students. Please take a moment to show lawmakers your appreciation for putting Michigan students first! Take 5 minutes to contact your legislators today!
GCA Team Out in the community!
On July 14, the GCA team hosted a table at the District’s Summer on The Block event at Ben Carson High School. Community members stopped by the table to learn about the recent successful K-12 budget signing, signed up for the GCA newsletter and text service about legislative updates, and learned more about how to get involved with grassroots advocacy efforts on behalf of the District. Stay up-to-date on our community events by visiting our Community Engagement Calendar!
Don’t Forget DPSCD is at Sunday’s EASTERN MARKET!
Detroit has one of the largest urban farmer’s markets in the country! Aside from fresh fruits and vegetables and delicious sweet treats, you can find District representatives hosting a resource table on Sundays from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm! Speak with District representatives about our legislative agenda, student enrollment, school updates, and much more! There will even be free swag giveaways at the table! We hope to see you there!
To conclude, stay tuned for more important details about education funding and legislation, and District updates by texting DPSCDVOTES to 22999.