Character Trait of the Month: Cooperation
What is Cooperation?
Cooperation (say ko-op-er-ay-shun) is when two or more people work together to achieve a goal. For cooperation to work, everyone must be an active member of the team and do what they agree to do.
What does cooperation look like?
Cooperation with the family
Your family is the most important 'team' that you will ever work with.
Cooperation at school
To have real cooperation at school everyone needs to follow the school rules. These expectations have been put into place to keep everyone in the school community safe and cared for.
Web Resources for Cooperation
How well do you collaborate or cooperate?
The skills below are essential for a displaying Cooperation. Do you have cooperation skills? Use an X to indicate your strengths and areas for improvement. Good cooperation skills will improved one’s character.
Cooperation and collaboration checklist:
- Begin, end or keep a conversation going
- Give praise
- Receive praise
- Wait your turn
- Ask for some help
- Provide some help
- Accept criticism
- Provide criticism about the idea (not the person)
- Ask for clarification
- Show tolerance and acceptance of others
- Understand the viewpoints of others
- Respect feelings of others
- Encourage participation of others
- Stay on task and focused
- Be responsible
- Help others to be responsible
- Respond appropriately when others are angry
- Convince others
- Stand up for your rights appropriately
- Apologize if needed
- Model good citizenship
- Cooperate and collaborate well both during school and at home