Meet the Counseling Staff!
Curtis Calhoun - School Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org - Room 205E
Mr. Calhoun joined the DSA counseling team in the fall of 2019, just after graduating from Spring Arbor University. For the past 5 years, Mr. Calhoun has worked with youth in an academic capacity as a substitute teacher, recreationally as a camp counselor and camp director for the YMCA of Metro Detroit, and lastly as a School Counselor Intern at Jackson High School (Michigan). These experiences offered opportunities to work with kids from all different backgrounds and has given Mr. Calhoun the ability to connect closely with a wide array of students.
As a Guidance Counselor, Mr. Calhoun understand the dismay of parents and teachers when high school students are not motivated to perform at their fullest potential. This is why Mr. Calhoun is prefers the Reality Therapy approach to counseling and incorporated it into his work with students often.
Mr. Calhoun is very passionate about helping students from Detroit explore their strengths and interests as they begin to think about their post-secondary life. When he is not working with students on academic, social/emotional, or college goals, Mr. Calhoun can be found hanging with friends, reading, traveling, and “trying” to dance.
Brittany Harvey – School Social Worker - email@example.com Room 205C
Our General Education School Social Worker is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She earned her Masters degree in Social Work from the University of Michigan Ann Arbor and obtained her Undergraduate degree in Social Work from Michigan State University. Ms. Harvey is a graduate of Detroit Public Schools and proud to return to serve our students and help to improve their overall health and wellness.
In individual and group settings, she addresses a wide variety of social-emotional concerns, with a focus on depression, anxiety, self-esteem, peer relationships, stress-management, and identifying beneficial coping strategies to improve academic performance. Ms. Harvey also spearheads our school wide “Wellness Wednesdays’ initiative providing wellness techniques for staff to incorporate into their classrooms. Ms. Harvey also introduces these techniques (deep breathing, meditation, journaling, reciting positive affirmations, etc.) to students during sessions.
Ms. Harvey is a former outpatient and home-based therapist at community mental health agencies in the Detroit Metro area, where she provided psychotherapy services to children, adolescents, and their families.
Fun fact: Ms. Harvey loves sunflowers and interior designing
Daniella Borum – College Transition Advisor - Daniella.firstname.lastname@example.org Room 205B
As Detroit School of Arts Counseling team, it is our privilege to serve your children. Our primary role here at DSA is to advocate for our students in Academic, College & Career and Social/Emotional areas. Some of the services we provide are the following:
- Monitoring progress toward graduation requirements
- Scheduling and interpreting data for proper placement
- Attending IEP’s on caseload
- Managing Personal Curriculum Plans and 504 health plans
College & Career:
- Educational Development Plans for all students- exploring interests and career paths
- Career Day- guest speakers representing more than 25 career paths share with our students
- Exposure to college fairs and college representatives
- PSAT and SAT interpretation and guidance
- College Application guidance
- FAFSA guidance (financial aid) and Scholarship information/assistance
- NCAA Eligibility Center guidance (college sports)
- Individual counseling with students (personal, academic, career)
- Expect Respect Curriculum- Teaching and promoting positive character traits
- School-wide Suicide Awareness and Prevention
- Organization and recognition of student achievement awards
Please contact the counseling team with question or concerns.