Behavioral Health Services
The Family Medical Center of Michigan, Inc. has partnered with Detroit Public Community Schools District to provide Behavioral Health Services to children at Thurgood Marshall Elementary-Middle School.
Telemedicine: Video Conferencing at school
Students will be able to meet with a psychiatrist at FMC, face-to-face, via a video appointment that is facilitated by onsite FMC staff. An assessment will be completed and appropriate medications can be prescribed.
Students will meet with an FMC Behavioral Health Specialist in-person at the school for the following services:
Students will be assessed to evaluate the concerns related to the child and determine the appropriate services and interventions needed.
Students will be tested if needed for childhood diagnoses, such as ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and Conduct Disorder.
The student will receive individualized therapy to develop coping skills and work on symptom and stress management.
Reasons to seek FMC services/signs that your child is experiencing behavioral health issues
- Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed
- Isolation from friends and/or family
- A change in sleep pattern
- Behavioral issues (not following directions, breaking rules at home, etc)
- Engaging in dangerous, illegal or thrill-seeking behaviors
- Increased arguments at home
- Decreased school performance
- Resistance to attending school
- Trouble focusing, concentrating or remembering information
- Behavioral issues (receiving detentions, suspensions, etc.)
- A lack of friends
- Feelings of anger or sadness related to school
- Feeling of hopelessness, sadness, anxiety, and/or crying often
- Frequent aggression, disobedience, or lashing out verbally
- Excessive neglect of personal appearance or hygiene
- Weight gain or loss/change in energy levels
- Substance use or abuse
- Making critical comments about themselves
- Signs of cutting, burning or other self-harm
- Difficulty coping with grief and loss
- History of Trauma
If interested, please contact Shachara Pullen, Medical Support Coordinator for an appointment between the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at 313.969.3812. Ms. Pullen can also be reached via email at email@example.com.
The following staff members also assist Ms. Pullen:
Shantael Harbin, LLMSW, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Paritee, LLMSW, email@example.com