Academic Assistance at Burns Elementary-Middle School
- Exceptional Student Exceptional (ESE) Resource Program
- Provide direct (pull-out) small group instruction to students on the Resource Teacher's caseload
- Provide consultation support to general education classroom teacher's
- Provide supplemental instruction based on IEP goals and objectives
- Academic Interventionist /Para-Educator (SSA)
- Assisting the teacher with instructional tasks assigned to individual students or small groups of students.
- Assisting the teacher with related tasks such as recordkeeping, checking students’ work, preparing and distributing instructional materials, etc.
- Serving as a liaison between the school and the family.
- Observing student performance and assisting in the planning and implementation of appropriate instructional activities.
- Tech Centers- Mac Lab
- Students use the labs to complete academic classwork via Microsoft Word
- Classes are scheduled to work in labs to complete I-Ready and MyOn
- One on one technology- each student is assigned to a laptop in each classroom they attend.
- City Year AmeriCorps supports students with academic, attendance and peer-to-peer interaction. City Year work with small groups making an enormous impact with individual students throughout the school year.
The Detroit Public Schools Community District Homework Hotline is a free resource available for all DPSCD students that encourages outstanding achievement by giving students an additional platform to ask for help and emphasize problem-solving skills. Students and families can call in for help with Literacy and/or Math homework. The Homework Hotline is provided in partnership with United Way for Southeastern Michigan. Please visit this link: https://www.detroitk12.org/homeworkhotline