Detroit Public Schools Community District is a School of Choice District and may enroll out-of-district students through September 8, 2018.
- DPSCD Enrollment Form
- Child’s birth certificate
- Proof of address (W-2, pay stub, public assistance documents, any official government mail, utility bills, driver’s license, etc.)
- Immunization record
- Transcripts or Report Cards
- Parent/Guardian photo ID
Parents must live in Detroit for Title 1 sites. The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) in DPSCD enrolls students from Wayne County but does allow cross-county enrollment. To enroll, a parent would need to get a release from the child’s County Intermediate School District (ISD).
Students who will be 4 by September 1st or December 1st of the current school year, depending on the program.
Kindergarten Waiver Information
The State Legislature recently amended the Revised School Code (MCL § 380.1147), changing the enrollment age for kindergarten students. Beginning with the 2015-16 school year and moving forward, all students must be age 5 by September 1 of the current school year in order to enroll in kindergarten. However, if a student will be age 5 between September 2 and December 1 of the current school year and the parent notifies (completes a waiver) the district/PSA that they are enrolling their child in kindergarten and provides proof of age, they may enroll their child. This process will stay in place until there is a change in legislation.
Note: Parents with a child missing the “cut-off” are being offered the option of signing a waiver.
Parent Waiver Option
If the child is not eligible for enrollment per the guidelines specified above and will be five (5) years old by December 1st, the child’s parent or legal guardian can apply for a waiver to enroll their student in school.
- When in receipt of a waiver, principals can make recommendations to the child's parent or legal guardian, as to the child's readiness for school, and whether or not the child should be emolled early.
- Regardless of a district's recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to enroll their child.
- Original birth certificate
- Current immunization record
- Child’s Insurance card
- Proof of income
- Proof of Wayne County residency