Meet Our Principal
Degrees and Certifications:
BS Radio, TV and Film BS Speech and Dramatic Arts BS English Language and Literature Masters Educational Leadership and Administration
Ms. Rita S. Davis
As a life-long learner and Instructional Leader, Ms. Rita S. Davis has dedicated her life to the profession and the advancement of education. She came from the area of Television Broadcasting to join Detroit Public School System as a teacher of English, Speech, Radio and Television Production. During her tenure as Teacher, she wrote the curriculum for and developed Kettering High School’s first Mass Media Program. Ms. Davis coached students to compete in district and statewide oratorical contests, in which students won first place awards for six consecutive years. The winning students appeared and presented on local Media. Once she became a Department head, she created test-taking strategies sessions for the Detroit Public School District. During this time Ms. Davis was recognized by the Wayne County RESA Achievement Group for outstanding accomplishment. During her years of service with Detroit Public Schools, Ms. Davis has held key administrative positions such as Department Head; Acting Supervisor for the Office of Communication Arts; Assistant Principal and her most rewarding position; a Principal for Detroit Public Schools Community District. Ms. Davis’ contributions to DPSCD are numerous. Among them are:
- Selected by Detroit Public Schools to serve on the district's Leadership Expectations Task Force Committee.
- Co-producer of nationally televised Walmart commercial featuring Detroit Public School students.
- Coached Students to be featured on “Classroom Jeopardy” produced by Sony
- Selected by the Board to be a member of the instructional materials review Committee.
- Served on the Language Arts Review committee.
- Judged District and State Oratorical Contests.
- Conducted numerous Language Arts Workshops throughout the district.
Professional Accomplishments include:
- Recipient of the Wayne County RESA Outstanding Educator Award.
- Recipient of the Spirit of Detroit Award, in recognition by the city of Detroit as an Outstanding Educational Leader.
- Recipient of the Michigan State Lottery Outstanding Educator Award
- Selected by National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to be a judge of Teacher portfolios for National Board Certification.
- Appointed by the Detroit Board of Education to serve on the Curriculum Outcomes Committee
- Appointed by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences to be a judge for the local Emmy Awards.
- Received special recognition by the Detroit Board of Education for student achievement for oratorical contests.
Ms. Davis’ record of leadership, dedication and service speaks to her love and commitment Detroit and to DPSCD. She often says there is no other place she would rather be than to be here with her Detroit Families helping them to grow and learn! There is no doubt that she is dedicated to making a positive, meaningful impact on education and on society as a whole.