Health & Safety
As the District reopens schools for 2021-2022, the most important aspects of DPSCD’s COVID-19 mitigation strategy remains its adherence to basic safety commitments, including:
- Correct use of masks required by all students, staff, contractors, visitors, parents and volunteers when inside school buildings; masks are optional when outdoors*
- Weekly COVID-19 saliva testing for all employees (and students who have a consent form completed)
- Required “return to work” saliva testing prior to initial reporting in August and September
- Physical distancing (3ft for student seating)
- Handwashing and respiratory etiquette
- Cleaning and maintaining healthy facilities
- Contact tracing in combination with isolation and quarantine as well as dedicated nursing staff at all schools
- Daily symptom screening & temperature checks for all students and staff
*Central office staff in central office locations where students are not present are required to wear masks if they are unvaccinated. Masks may be worn by anyone vaccinated who feels comfortable doing so.
Universal Masking Requirement//No exceptions outside of Medical Exemption: The DPSCD Board of Education is requiring masks in schools. DPSCD’s mask requirement mirrors the mask requirement of the Wayne County Health Department. Wayne County is requiring all students, staff and visitors at K-12 schools located within Wayne County to wear masks in school buildings. Any student wishing to attend in-person school, must wear a mask. If a parent submits a request/demand for their student to not wear a mask, please direct them to the Homebound/Hospitalized team at 313-873-7740. If there is no medical exemption, they should be directed to the Virtual School for enrollment.
These safety measures may be revisited or revised as the data indicates changes are necessary and/or the District is directed to comply with other orders or requirements by local health officials.