In 2018, DPSCD adopted the Eureka Math Curriculum with the intention of helping our students shift from just finding the answers to actually understanding the why and how behind the mathematic processes. Eureka Math uses sequenced modules to help students achieve a deeper understanding of concepts while developing strong critical thinking skills. The program is a Common-Core aligned curriculum that helps students build upon their skills, provides real word stories and application lessons, and encourages mental strategies to problem solve. Grade level clusters have key focus areas and each grade level has specific modules of engagement. For information, please visit the DPSCD Math Curriculum Page.
Key Areas of Focus for K-2nd
Addition and subtraction - concepts, skills and problem solving
- Representing, relating, and operating on whole numbers, initially with sets of objects
- Describing shapes and space.
- Focus on number concepts
- developing understanding of addition, subtraction
- strategies for addition and subtraction within 20
- developing understanding of whole number relationships and place value, including grouping in tens and ones
- developing understanding of linear measurement and measuring lengths as iterating length units
- reasoning about attributes of, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes.
- extending understanding of base-ten notation
- building fluency with addition and subtraction
- using standard units of measure
- describing and analyzing shapes
Key Areas of Focus for 3rd–5th
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers and fractions—concepts, skills, and problem solving
- developing understanding of multiplication and division and strategies for multiplication and division within 100
- developing understanding of fractions, especially unit fractions (fractions with numerator 1
- developing understanding of the structure of rectangular arrays and area
- describing and analyzing two-dimensional shapes.
- developing understanding and fluency with multi-digit multiplication
- developing understanding of dividing to find quotients involving multi-digit dividends
- developing an understanding of fraction equivalence, addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators
- multiplication of fractions by whole numbers
- understanding that geometric figures can be analyzed and classified based on their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry.
- developing fluency with addition and subtraction of fractions
- developing understanding of the multiplication of fractions and of division of fractions
- extending division to two-digit divisors
- integrating decimal fractions into the place value system and developing understanding of operations with decimals to hundredths
- developing fluency with whole number and decimal operations
- developing understanding of volume
Key Areas of Focus for 6th–8th
- Ratios and proportional reasoning; early expressions and equations